TBI, Elizabethton police: Man shot to death during assault on officers

Johnson City Press • Updated Dec 28, 2019 at 8:51 PM

ELIZABETHTON — Police shot and killed a man early Saturday morning after he assaulted them, according to news releases issued by the Elizabethton Police Department and the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation.

The incident was the second fatal Elizabethton Police Department shooting this year.

The situation began about 12:45 a.m. when two officers were sent to a house in the 600 block of Hattie Avenue regarding an unauthorized visitor being in the home who was in violation of an order of protection.

When 31-year-old A.B. Carr ignored orders to leave, the officers entered the home. As officers approached Carr, an altercation began. The EPD said Carr assaulted the officers with a metal object. The police news release said the officers first attempted non-lethal force on Carr, but when he continued to attack the officers, he was shot.

One of the officers suffered minor injuries and was treated and released from a local hospital. The other officer was treated for minor injuries at the scene. Carr was pronounced dead at the scene.

Per policy, the TBI did not release the two officer’s names, deferring questions to the local department.

At the request of 1st District Attorney General Ken Baldwin, the TBI was called in to investigate. Agents were continuing to gather evidence and interviews in support of the investigation. Throughout the process, findings would be passed along to Baldwin for his review and consideration, according to the release.

On Sept. 16, two officers shot and killed Jeffrey Michael Gibble, 34, Johnson City, on Academy Street after he fired shots at them, the TBI said at the time. The incident began about 2 a.m., when one of the officers on routine patrol saw suspicious activity around a vehicle in the 700 block of East Elk Avenue. The TBI said the officer asked the man to identify himself, but the man ran, so the officer chased him. A second officer caught up to Gibble in the 200 block of Academy Street and tried to take him into custody.

For unknown reasons, Gibble pulled a gun and fired at the officer, the TBI said. Both officers returned fire, striking the man. He was taken to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Neither officer was injured.

On Saturday afternoon Chief of Police Jason Shaw spoke about the process the officers involved in the Saturday shooting will undergo as they are returned to duty.

Shaw also thanked the other agencies that assisted in the incident: “This incident is a reminder of the hazards our officers face on a daily basis. I thank the Lord they survived the incident with relatively minor injuries.”

He said the officers involved, per policy, will be on administrative leave for a few days.

“During this time prior to their return to duty, they will visit a professional for a debrief to insure their mental health and they will have to re-qualify with their duty weapon,” Shaw said. “Additionally we will coordinate a post incident debrief with a peer support group with all involved the the incident. I want to make sure we do as much as we can to support our officers after these traumatic incidents.”

Johnson City Press Videos