Counterfeit check charges and false alarm: felony arrests by Johnson City police

Johnson City Press • Updated May 20, 2019 at 6:59 PM

2 charged with passing counterfeit checks: Two men were arrested Sunday in Johnson City following accusations that they cashed counterfeit checks on separate dates in January.

Milton Mitchell, 40, 447 N. Broadway St., Knoxville, was charged with criminal simulation. On Jan. 14, police were called to Bank of Tennessee, 1328 W. State of Franklin Road, where Mitchell had tried to pass a counterfeit check in the amount of $3,200.71, police said in a news release.

Bank employees called 911 because they discovered that Mitchell had successfully passed other counterfeit checks earlier in the day at other locations. Mitchell was arrested Sunday after his release from the Sullivan County Jail. 

Also on Sunday, Keilend Clayton, 19, 879 Torrey Pines Circle, Birmingham, Alabama, was charged with two counts of criminal simulation. On Jan. 8, police responded to a report of a counterfeit checks being deposited into an account with Citizens Bank, 3028 Peoples St.

The bank reported that two checks were deposited remotely into • Clayton’s account, one in the amount of $749.63 and the other in the amount of $748.61.

Police said Clayton withdrew the money from the account prior to the bank receiving notification that the checks were counterfeit. Clayton was arrested Sunday during a traffic stop.

Each man was held in the Washington County Detention Center pending Sessions Court appearances set for Monday. Mitchell’s bond was $250, and Clayton’s was $750.

• Hotel guest arrested after fire alarm: Police said a Carnegie Hotel guest set off a fire alarm Saturday, resulting in her arrest. Hollie Johnson, 37, 1084 W. Oakland Ave., Apt. 719, was charged with felony false reporting and felony vandalism.

About 9:15 p.m., police went to the hotel at 1216 W State of Franklin Road. They spoke with an employee, who reported that Johnson had checked into the hotel and shortly after had pulled the fire alarm, causing an emergency response.

Police said security video showed Johnson going to her room and then walking back toward the elevator, where she pulled the fire alarm.

Johnson then attempted to turn off the alarm, causing damage to the alarm. She was held in the Washington County Detention Center under $10,000 bond with a Sessions Court appearance set for Monday.

Recommended for You

    Johnson City Press Videos