Just after 4 a.m., the student told ETSU’s Public Safety department she had been walking near the campus powerhouse when she was attacked by a man with a knife. The man ran toward West State of Franklin Road.
She described the attacker as white, about 5 feet, 7 inches tall, skinny and having blondish/brown shaggy hair. She also described him as having a pointy, big nose and a pointy chin. The man was wearing blue jeans, brown work boots and a dark color jacket.
In an email alert to students, faculty and staff, ETSU Public Safety issued the following reminders:
• Avoid isolated or dark areas.
• Walk in pairs or request an escort at night.
• In an emergency dial 911 or use a blue light phone.
• If you think you are being followed, go to a well-lit place where there are other people.
• If strangers approach, maintain a distance. If you are in a vehicle, lock your doors and keep windows up.
• Be observant; if they are in a vehicle, get the license plate number.
• Report suspicious persons, vehicles, or activities immediately.
Anyone having information relating to this or a similar incident was asked call Public Saftey at 423-439-4480 or the Johnson City Police Department at 423-434-6000.
The ETSU Counseling Center offers support and resources as well. It can be reached at 423-439-3333.