Elizabethton Police say Sunday death was justifiable shooting

John Thompson • Updated Aug 27, 2018 at 8:20 PM

ELIZABETHTON — Police Chief Jason Shaw said Monday a fatal shooting early Sunday morning at 220 W. I St. “appears to be a justifiable shooting and no charges are being sought at this time.”

Shaw identified the man who was killed as Francisco Borquez, 29. Shaw said the man who shot Borquez was Chosen Juilian, 32.

Shaw released details during a press conference on Monday afternoon. He said police were called to the West I Street residence at 3:15 a.m. Sunday. He said the officers arrived at the scene at 3:17 a.m. When they arrived, Shaw said officers found a man, later identified as Borquez, lying next to a vehicle. He was suffering from a gunshot wound to the chest.

When the officers arrived, Shaw said, Julian immediately made contact with them and identified himself as the person who shot Borquez.

Other witnesses at the home at the time of the shooting were Amber Wood, 31, described as Julian’s girlfriend, and Jade Quinn, 29, described as the mother of Borquez’s 1-year-old child.

Members of the Elizabethton Police Department’s Criminal Investigation Division and an agent with the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation were called to the scene.

Shaw said the investigators discovered Borquez had gone to the residence to speak with Guinn. While Borquez was there, a physical altercation between Borquez and Julian began inside the residence.

Shaw said Julian told investigators that during the altercation he felt his life was threatened. He fired one shot at Borquez with a pistol. Immediately following the shot, Borquez exited the residence and collapsed. Within minutes, the Carter County Rescue Squad arrived and took Borquez to a local hospital, where he died. A preliminary autopsy finding showed one bullet struck Borquez in the chest. Further autopsy results were pending.

Shaw said the justifiable shooting determination was made after results of the investigation were reviewed and after consultation with the First Judicial District Attorney General Ken Baldwin.

“However, the investigation is ongoing and the final decisions on criminal charges have not been made,” Shaw said.

Shaw concluded the press conference on a personal note, saying, “All parties involved in this situation have suffered a traumatic and stressful event. My thoughts and prayers and condolences go out to those involved and I appreciate the quick response and great work of the Carter County Rescue Squad and the officers that responded to the incident.”

Johnson City Press Videos