Crockett plays another classic at the Arby's

Jeff Birchfield • Updated Jan 1, 2016 at 7:21 PM

BRISTOL -- David Crockett didn’t just put on a show at the Arby’s Classic.

For much of the 33rd annual basketball tournament, the Pioneers were the show.

It was the case Thursday evening when Patrick Good scored a career-high 46 points and the Pioneers battled through three overtimes before finally losing 77-75 to St. James School, Md. in the third-place game.

All total, Crockett played seven overtime periods over four games in five days.

Good was the ringleader. His 46-point performance included six shots behind the 3-point arc and many timely baskets to keep Crockett in the game. He came just six points shy of the Arby’s single-game record of 52 points set by Sullivan North’s Kenny Lawson in 1994.

“I’m a little exhausted,” said Good, who was playing with a bruised hip. “Going into seven overtimes in four games is tough. We fought it out and had a chance to win every game we were in. It shows that we have some fight, some competitiveness and we don’t give up on each other. God gave us another chance to play and we had to stick together and fight it out.”

While Good was burning it up on the offensive end, guys like Dustin Day, Brendan Coleman, Ian Martin and Brandon Rains were battling on the inside where they were at a decided size disadvantage against the Saints.

Grant Golden, the Saints’ 6-foot-10 senior center, finished with 32 points and 17 rebounds. His brother Bryce, at 6-foot-8, added 13 points and nine rebounds.

Day finished with 11 points and seven rebounds to help offset some of St. James’ considerable advantage.

“We had to just think about the size of our hearts,” said Day, who joined Good on the Arby's all-tournament team. “We gave it our all. We knew they were bigger than us, but we just had to put everything we had on the floor and give 100 percent. I enjoyed every single second of it. I love my team and love my coaches, and our adrenaline pulled us through.”

After falling behind by 10 points at the start, Crockett stormed back to trail just14-12 at the end of one quarter.

The Pioneers finally took a 17-16 lead on a 3-point goal by Day at 6:15 of the second quarter.

It sparked a run of 3-point baskets.

Good hit one with 3:16 left for a 26-20 lead and Peyton Ford, who finished with 10 points, followed with one at the 2:49 mark.

Good hit a final one in the first half as time ran down to give Crockett a 32-22 advantage.

Crockett led 42-37 at the end of three quarters and pushed the lead out to nine points before St. James scored 11 unanswered.

With a nip-and-tuck battle to the end of regulation, Good wasn’t able to convert on the front end of a 1-and1 at the free-throw line with the game tied 53-all.

However, he came through with the Pioneers traling 57-55 at the end of the first overtime. He drove to the basket and was fouled with just six-tenths of a second left and hit both free throws to tie it 57-57 and send the game into the second overtime.

Crockett led 62-61 in the second overtime when a foul, followed by a technical foul with 34 seconds left, turned the tables in favor of St. James. However, the Pioneers weren’t done as Good nailed a game-tying 3-pointer with 19 seconds left.

The Saints’ Jordan Bartlett missed at the buzzer, sending the game into a third overtime.

St. James took control near the end of the third overtime before Ford was fouled with 1.9 seconds left. He made one of two shots and Good launched a shot at the buzzer which bounced off the rim.

While disappointed with the loss, Crockett coach John Good talked about what a memorable experience the tournament was for the team. Both the Pioneers and Saints were met with a standing ovation after the game.

“It was a great environment, and an experience our kids will remember the rest of their lives,” Coach Good said. “You want to play the best competition you can and show your kids that you can compete against anybody. We never talk about wins and losses. We talk about competing. We were giving up about six inches at every position, but our kids didn’t look at them like they were unbeatable. They looked at our 12 guys and believed in our coaches. They’re tough kids.”

NOTE: It was a battle of Washington County teams with Crockett from Washington, County, Tennessee and the Saints from Washington County, Maryland. During the week, the visiting teams stayed at a hotel in Washington County, Virginia.

Recommended for You

    Johnson City Press Videos