no avatar

District 1-AA soccer: Cyclones outlast Rebels in two overtimes

Allen LaMountain • May 7, 2019 at 10:35 PM

ELIZABETHTON – In the District 1-AA boys soccer match held on Tuesday at Citizens Bank Stadium, 80 minutes was not enough to decide a victor.

In the 98th minute, Elizabethton Cyclone senior Luke Bershausen scored a header off his own direct kick to give the Cyclones a 3-2 overtime win over Sullivan South.

“We had plenty of chances and didn't finish,” Rebels head coach Keith Parker said. “I think we should have ended the game before regulation ended, but that's the way it goes. Both teams played hard and EHS is good at set pieces — and we gave up a penalty and they scored on it.”

The Cyclones (12-2-1 overall) got on the scoreboard in the 17th minute after a handball penalty was called on Sullivan South's Luke Pollack in the EHS penalty area. Senior midfielder Luke Bernshausen connected on the penalty kick to the right of Rebels goalkeeper Aaron Stokes, giving the Cyclones a 1-nil advantage.

The Rebels (10-6) got the equalizer in the 24th minute when Luis Ramos directed a rebound off a shot from Ayden Hale past EHS goalkeeper Noah Lambert. Hale made a move past Cyclone back-line defender Kellen Murphy toward the end line and fired a shot at Lambert, who made the save but couldn't hold onto the ball. Ramos was there to knock it to the back of the net.

The match went into the half knotted at 1 and neither squad could gain much advantage in the early portion of the second half. South managed two shots on goal in the first few minutes of the second half, but Lambert was up to the task of stopping each one.

The Cyclones got a shot from Evan Fulmer that was handled by Stokes. A minute later, however, senior Teagan Bernshausen had a breakaway and point-blank-range shot on which Stokes made a tremendous punch save. No one was there for the rebound for EHS, enabling South to dodge a bullet.

In the 61st minute, the Cyclones took the lead when Luke Bernshausen took a pass from Fulmer and drove a shot past Stokes high and to his right.

In the 63rd minute, South was awarded a penalty kick and a Ramos shot was blocked by Lambert on a sprawling save — preventing the equalizer. Ramos got the Rebels even in the 70th minute when a penalty gave him a direct kick from 18 yards out, and he went top shelf just under the crossbar to make it a 2-2 contest.

The game went to overtime and the first of two 10-minute periods saw no one score — with the Rebels collecting the only on-goal shot in the period.

With just over two minutes remaining in the second overtime, Bernshausen got a free kick from 24 yards out and, following his shot, headed it past Stokes for his third goal of the match and a 3-2 Cyclones lead.

The Rebels scrambled for the equalizer over the last 2:32 seconds but were unable to get it.

District 1-AA soccer

EHS 3-2 (2 overtimes)

South 1 1 0 0 – 2

EHS 1 1 0 1 – 3

Scoring summary

First Half

E – Bernshausen (PK), 17:00

S – Ramos (assist Hale), 24:00

Second Half

E – Bernshausen (assist Fulmer), 61:00

S – Ramos (unassisted FK), 70:00


E – Bernshausen (assist J. Holly), 98:00.

Recommended for You

    Johnson City Press Videos