Monday was the deadline for candidates to submit letters of interest, and commissioners may hold interviews with a select number of applicants on Oct. 15. The appointment is expected to be made at the Oct. 18 City Commission meeting.
Here are the candidates who applied:
• Dr. Larry Calhoun- A native of Carter County, Calhoun served as the founding dean of East Tennessee State University’s College of Pharmacy and now serves as dean emeritus and special assistant to the president and vice president. He’s also previously served as vice president of Mountain States Health Alliance and CEO of Unicoi County Memorial Hospital.
• Nancy Fischman- A resident of Johnson City for 40 years, Fischman is an active participant in the arts community. She currently serves as vice chairman of the Public Art Committee, and she previously served on the board of The Road Company, a nonprofit theater, from 1976 to the 1990s.
• Michael Davenport- A graduate of Carson-Newman and the University of Tennessee, where he earned his doctorate of jurisprudence, Davenport serves as an administrative law judge for the Kingsport Office of Disability. Between 1985 and 1990, Davenport was a municipal judge for the City of Johnson City.
• Don Hembree- For the past 15 years, Hembree has worked in information technology, currently serving as the director of information technology for Medical Care, a local family medical practice. Hembree has lived in Johnson City for 20-plus years, and is a graduate of the Johnson City 101 course. Between 2013 and 2016, he worked for the Johnson City Sports Foundation Board, which was responsible for running the day-to-day operations of the Johnson City Cardinals.
• Jonathan Kinnick- Kinnick serves as vice chairman of the Johnson City Board of Education, which he was first elected to in 2016. He is also chairman of the Johnson City Parks and Recreation Advisory Board, and an elder at Lone Oak Christian Church. Kinnick works as an independent software developer and computer consultant.
• Rev. Lester Lattany- A resident of 38 years, Lattany previously worked as chief financial officer and interim treasurer/recorder for the City of Johnson City. He also served as director of community and economic development and assistant to the city manager. Most recently, Lattany served as president and CEO of the United Way of Washington County.
• David LeFemine- Since 1991, LeFemine has served on numerous boards and committees, including the Board of Zoning Appeals, the Johnson City Regional Planning Commission, the Johnson City Economic & Community Development Advisory Board and the Bikeway & Greenway Advisory Council. Most recently, he’s been a member of the West Walnut Task Force.
• Dr. Mike Marchioni- A former member of the Johnson City Regional Planning Commission and the Board of Zoning Appeals, Marchioni has also served on the Southside Neighborhood Organization and the executive board of the local March of Dimes. Marchioni taught at ETSU for over 30 years in the fields of cultural geography, planning and urban studies.
• Pete Paduch- Paduch served as mayor of Johnson City between 2003 and 2005 and vice mayor between 1999 and 2001. He was first elected to the City Commission in 1995 and served for 12 years. He’s the president and founder of Watertech, a Johnson City-based jacuzzi and bathtub company.
Eds. Note: A previous version of this story said Don Hembree worked for the Johnson City Sports Foundation between 2013 and 2016, where he was responsible for running the day-to-day operations of the Johnson City Cardinals. The Johnson City Sports Foundation, as a whole, managed the Cardinals’ operations, not just Hembree.