Potter wins Super Cup race in Ohio

Jeff Birchfield • Updated Aug 11, 2019 at 9:46 PM

Johnson City auto racing veteran Mike Potter was super at the Super Cup Stock Car Series races in Midvale (Ohio) Speedway on Saturday night.

Potter finished third in his No. 14 Chevrolet in the opening race of the the Mr. Water Heater Twin 50s. He posted the fastest lap race of the entire race on lap 44 before winding up behind New York driver Ron Langdon and West Virginia racer Harvey Harrison.

Potter, a veteran of 60 NASCAR Cup Series starts, followed it up by winning the nightcap for his first stock car victory since 2006. He led the first nine laps of the race before Harrison pulled ahead on a restart after a caution period. Three laps later, Potter retook the lead and led the rest of the 50-lap race.

“When I passed Harvey, I was like, ‘If I’m going to win this race, I’ve got to go.’ I was really up on the wheel and I didn’t look back,” Potter said. “I wasn’t wasting time looking in the mirror. I had to hammer down.”

If he had been looking back, he would have seen that Langdon passed Harrison for second and was closing in. However, Langdon never got close enough to challenge for the lead.

It was a popular win with all his fellow racers coming to congratulate the 70-year-old Potter after his first SuperCup Series victory.

Even the first race, it was apparent that Potter had a fast car and not just for the one lap. He had to go to the rear of the field following Stephen Cox’s spin after the two made contact. It was purely a racing accident, as Potter owns the No. 21 car that Cox was driving.

Potter charged from the back of the field to second place before Harrison beat him on a late restart and he wound up third. Potter felt the car could be better and he made adjustments for the second race on the flat 3/10-mile track.

“We were a little loose for the first race so I decided to make a couple of changes,” Potter said. “It made the car better in the second race. But I had to fight for it. There weren’t any gimmes. We ran about the final 40 laps without any caution in the second race and I had to be up on the wheel.”

Potter had a Johnson City-based crew as Gary Shell, Dusty Silvers and his father, Buck Silvers, all made the trip to Ohio. Potter’s cousin, Chrissy Adams, served as his spotter. It was a fun ride home, starting back at midnight before arriving back in Johnson City around 7 a.m.

The driver thanked his crew as well as several others who have helped him throughout the year. Potter finished second earlier this season at Kingsport and vowed to keep to going strong.

“We’ve had a good time,” Potter said. “I’m still enjoying it and plan to keep doing it as long as I can.”

Johnson City Press Videos