Not guilty plea entered by Johnson City man accused of rape, attempted murder

Becky Campbell • May 21, 2012 at 9:41 PM

A Johnson City man pleaded not guilty to attempted murder and rape charges at his arraignment Monday in Washington County Criminal Court.

Eric L. Parker, 47, appeared before Judge Robert Cupp with his court-appointed attorney, Bill Donaldson, to enter the plea.

Assistant District Attorney Dennis Brooks said lab results in the case are not back from the state crime lab, so the case was reset for a status hearing Aug. 31.

Parker is accused of beating a woman, raping her and leaving her lying nude in the parking lot of the Lions Club in February.

Johnson City Police Department Patrolman Aubrey McElroy found the victim lying in the Lions Park parking lot in the early morning hours of Feb. 14.

McElroy testified at the preliminary hearing that the woman was almost nude, appeared to have been beaten, had several bullet wounds and had a black leather belt around her neck. The woman was alive, but could barely speak because her face was so swollen, he said.

When McElroy loosened the belt to help the woman breathe, he also found a cell phone charger cord wrapped around her neck, he said.

Several other officers testified about their assignments in the case and how the investigation led to Parker.

Once officers identified the woman, they learned she had been at Everette’s Bar & Grill the night before and she had a cell phone.

At Everette’s, police obtained a description of the vehicle and also questioned employees at the next door bar, Encore.

There, they learned the vehicle was owned by a man named Rick, police said.

From that point, officers were able to tie Parker to the vehicle and use the victim’s cell phone GPS to locate it.

The phone “pinged” near Carroll Creek and Englewood, investigators said.

After locating Parker’s car in front of a residence on Englewood, police arrested him when he walked out of the house.

Officers had the vehicle towed to the city’s impound lot and used the phone GPS again and it “pinged” at the lot, police testified.

Parker remains jailed on $200,000 bond.

Recommended for You

    Johnson City Press Videos