June 2, 1881: The Comet opined, “Everybody in Johnson City is a member of the School Board, inasmuch as they are constantly being bored by the question, ‘When will you have schools?’” Another opinion shared by The Comet was “Johnson City is not a boom town. It is simply the healthy offspring of indomitable energy, industry and enterprise. The town makes haste slowly, and never goes backward.”
June 2, 1884: The Chattanooga Daily Times reported, “The tannery at Johnson City is in full blast, and employs several hundred hands inside and out. Many are engaged in getting out bark. The number of hides being worked (15,000) is large. Everything inside is moved by steam and everything is utilized. The engine is run by spent tan bark and the ashes are hauled out on the farm. The hair and tallow off the hides are saved. The hides are procured from New York, Chicago, Texas, and South America. Sole and belting leather is principally turned out.”
June 2, 1887: The Comet reported, “The Johnson City Building and Loan Association will be organized tomorrow night in City Hall. The advantages arising from an organization of this kind are numerous. The principal object, however, is to enable the working man to build a home and pay for it on the installment plan, at a very little more per month than it would cost him to rent. As soon as the Association gets to working properly they will be able to build one house each month. Dwellings are in demand in Johnson City and this Association will do more than anything else toward building up our town.”
June 2, 1893: Judge H.C. Hart was refitting the room where he formerly kept his office. A family grocery was to be opened in the room when completed.
June 2, 1904: The Comet reported there would be a game of base ball at West End Park the following week between a select nine of Confederate veterans and “fat men” headed by Col. Burnett for the latter. The proceeds were to be used to assist some worthy veterans to attend a reunion in Nashville.
June 2, 1910: The Comet reported that Prof. R.L. Jones, superintendent of public instruction, came to the city the previous Saturday from Bristol on No. 41 and remained here until the Memphis Special. He was accompanied to this place by Col. J.M. Barker, member of the state Board of Education, for the purpose of inspecting the Normal School site for some “much needed data.”
June 2, 1927: Mrs. L.D. Gasteiger and Miss Elizabeth Gasteiger of Johnson City, Tennessee, were the guests of Mrs. Gasteiger's son-in-law and daughter, Mr. and Mrs M.X. Garinger, in Charleston, West Virginia.
June 2, 1945: Ralph Wieczorek, husky first baseman-pitcher, had left a Polish National Alliance team in Winona, Minnesota, to play professional baseball for the Johnson City Cardinals. Wieczorek batted .227 that season for the Cardinals in 23 games.
June 2, 1963: The Min-It Chef restaurant had opened at 823 W. Walnut St. adjacent to Scott’s Grocery. Hot dogs were 14 cents, and hamburgers were 19 cents.
June 2, 1967: The Johnson City Press-Chronicle published an image of North Roan Street’s new center turn lane looking north from near the Tanglewood subdivision. The newspaper reported that the lane was not entirely understood by motorists.
Sources: Morristown Gazette; The Comet; Chattanooga Daily Times; Charleston Gazette; Republican-Herald, Winona, Minnesota; Johnson City Press-Chronicle; Ted Bowers/Johnson City, Tennessee, Memories.