logo


no avatar

Today in Johnson City History: March 14

Rebecca Henderson and Johnson City Press • Mar 14, 2020 at 3:00 AM

March 14, 1891: Will Patton, the Public Square baker and confectioner, had moved into the new S. T. Harris building near the Watauga House. The basement was used as a restaurant and the first floor was filled with confectioneries and groceries.

March 14, 1930: J.C. Penney’s ran an ad for “Oxhide” Overalls for 89 cents.

March 14, 1945: More than half of the quota for the Red Cross War Fund had been raised. Johnson City’s quota was $30,400. In 2020 dollars, that would be approximately equivalent to $294,500.

March 14, 1949: The Leon Ferenbach basketball team played in the Burley Basketball Tournament of Champions in Johnson City.

March 14, 1951: Auto Sales Inc., 103 Wilson Ave., advertised the "51" DeSoto. “No other car is more fun to drive.”

March 14, 1960: Several snow-bound residents of Roan Mountain and Hampton had recently had food and other supplies brought to them, some by airdrops. Many residents had been stranded for two weeks, with some elderly folks in the area being unable to leave their home since February 11.

March 14, 1975: City Manager William Ricker recently spoke to the Metropolitan Kiwanis Club. Mr. Ricker spoke of plans for revitalizing downtown Johnson City.

March 14, 1990: A truck carrying radioactive metal parts overturned on a southbound exit from Interstate 181. The truck, carrying approximately 20,000 pounds of radioactive metal parts, was bound for Aerojet in Jonesborough.

March 14, 2005: Johnson City Press readers were invited to bring books to donate to the Johnson City Public Library for their upcoming Friends of the Library book sale.

Sources: The Comet; Johnson City Chronicle; Johnson City Press-Chronicle; Ted Bowers/Johnson City, Tennessee, Memories; Johnson City Press.

Johnson City Press Videos