March 11, 1897: A recent heavy rain filled old Brush Creek and came near flooding the town. The railroad tressell at P.Q. Miller's became somewhat clogged and turned the water on the southeast side of the track. It come down into the foundry, doing considerable damage to the moulding department. The footbridge on West Main Street was washed away and lodged against the footbridge on West Market Street.
March 11, 1939: The Johnson City Chronicle carried news that Margaret Sells, a Southern Presbyterian missionary to China, was safe. Miss Sells was the daughter of Mrs. George C. Sells, and had been a missionary for three years. She, along with several other Americans, was unaccounted for a while in China, “as an aftermath of a series of Japanese inroads along the Kiangsu-Shantung provincial border.”
March 11, 1944: Readers of the Johnson City Press-Chronicle could have no doubt that the United States was at war. “United States Accuses Ireland of Endangering Allied Invasion,” and “Soviet Army Opens Third Big Offensive on Ukraine Front” were headlines.
March 11, 1951: Johnson City Press-Chronicle were readers were asked to take out 30 seconds each day at noon to pray.
March 11, 1960: “The Tingler," starring Vincent Price, was showing at the Sevier Theatre on Spring Street in downtown Johnson City. The movie was well known for the use of "Percepto!" — a vibrating device in theater chairs that activated with what was happening on screen.
March 11, 1963: Bob Brown, who wrote the “Science for You” weekly feature in the Johnson City Press-Chronicle, had recently “entertained city school students during three appearances here.” A picture showed Mr. Brown and Kay Gasteiger holding a container of frozen mercury, which was a result of combining dry ice and rubbing alcohol.
On March 11, 1970: Space at The Mall was 85% leased and construction was to start soon. Britts and Sears would be the anchor tenants.
March 11, 1972: Architecture students at the University of Tennessee had unveiled ways to restore and preserve Jonesboro, which is the oldest town in Tennessee, and is now spelled “Jonesborough.”