Feb. 12, 1903: The city had put down a cinder walk on Second Avenue (now East Fairview Avenue) through Carnegie to the furnace.
Feb. 12, 1928: The Johnson City Chronicle reported that the Business and Professional Women would be meeting the following Monday at St. John’s Episcopal Church. Miss Mabel Williams was in charge. The program would be about Valentine’s Day.
Feb. 12, 1928: The Mayne Williams Public Library Board had recently been the hostesses to visitors of the Upper East Tennessee District Library Institute. A luncheon was served at this meeting, which took place at the home of Mrs. George T. Wofford of Llewelyn Wood. East Tennessee State Teachers College President Charles Sherrod was the speaker.
Feb. 12, 1950: Judge Thad A. Cox had died. A former Tennessee Supreme Court justice, Judge Cox “had been seriously ill several months of a circulation disorder.” Known as “the dean of attorneys in upper East Tennessee,” the judge was 78 years old.
Feb. 12, 1951: Main and Market Streets were converted to one-way streets with Main going east and Market going west. The directions were reversed about eight years later.
Feb.12, 1957: The Johnson City Press-Chronicle reported that Rep. Howard Baker would not accept an appointment to the Tennessee Valley Authority board of directors if the position were offered to him.
Feb. 12, 1960: Teen Town had moved from West Walnut Street to the old Southern Maid Dairy Building, 503 S. Roan St.
Feb. 12, 1974: Brothers Ron and Don Wright were part of a six-man tag battle in wrestling matches at the recreation center. The card also included the NWA World’s Lady Championship Match between Fabulous Moolah and challenger Donna Christantello.
Feb. 12, 1977: Waylon Jennings performed at Freedom Hall Civic Center. More than 3,900 fans were present.
Sources: The Comet; Johnson City Chronicle; Johnson City Press-Chronicle; Ted Bowers/Johnson City, Tennessee, Memories; Bobbie H. Shirley, Freedom Hall