logo


no avatar

Today in Johnson City History: February 8

Rebecca Henderson and Johnson City Press • Feb 8, 2020 at 6:00 AM

Feb. 8, 1839: Chester Bullard Campbell was born. Mr. Campbell was the clerk of the Church at First Christian in 1890, and was elected Secretary of the official board later that year. By profession, he was a photographer.

Feb. 8, 1912: Bids had recently been opened in Elizabethton for the purpose of building on the Carter County link of the proposed Bristol-to-Memphis highway. Several companies had submitted bids.

Feb. 8, 1912: Thomas O. Allen had recently passed away. Mr. Allen moved to Johnson City from Burnsville, North Carolina, 18 years previously; since living in Johnson City, he had served several terms on the City Council. He was buried at Monte Vista.

Feb. 8, 1936: The Wednesday Morning Music Club announced plans for a fundraiser toward the purchase of Langston High School band instruments.

Feb. 8, 1949: A twin bill of "Miraculous Journey" and "The Wolf Man" showed at the Tennessee Theatre at the corner of West Main and Buffalo.

Feb. 8, 1962: The final night of the Upper East Tennessee Golden Gloves competition took place at the Recreation Center on Legion Street. Boxing teams from Johnson City. Bristol, Greeneville, Elizabethton and Kingsport fought an elimination tournament to determine eight entrants in the Southern Golden Cloves Tournament of Champions in Nashville. Winners included Johnson City middleweight Bill Estep, who was unopposed in the final round. Several novice and sub-novice bouts also were the night's card. Among Johnson City’s winners were Roy Glass in the 119-pound class; Hubert Miller in the 126-pound class,  Jerry Bowman in the160-pound class, and James Freeman, also in the 160-pound class.

Feb. 8, 1963: The State Board of Education unanimously voted to support elevating East Tennessee State College to university status, which the General Assembly approved later in the month.

Feb. 8, 1974: "Don't Look In The Basement" was showing at the Capri Theatre (formerly The Tennessee) on the corner of West Main and Boone streets in downtown Johnson City.

Feb. 8, 2010: Local scouts observed the centennial of the Boy Scouts of America. Elected officials, business leaders and current and former Scouts gathered at the Sequoyah Council’s service center, 129 Boone Ridge Drive.

Sources: 100th Anniversary History and Directory 1871-1971, First Christian Church; The Comet; Johnson City Chronicle; Johnson City Press-Chronicle; Ted Bowers/Johnson City, Tennessee, Memories; Johnson City Press.

Johnson City Press Videos