logo


no avatar

Today in Johnson City History: January 28

Rebecca Henderson and Johnson City Press • Jan 28, 2020 at 7:00 AM

Jan. 28, 1886: The young men of the different churches of the town had organized a Young Men's Christian Association with 10 members. The following officers were elected: A.F. Hoss, president; C.J. Broyles, vice president; W.W. Faw, secretary; and Chales McNeil, treasurer.

Jan. 28, 1897: The new charter for Johnson City had passed both houses of the Tennessee General Assembly.

Jan. 28, 1910: Harry Doggaur was fined $5 for “Keeping pool-room open at night after legal hours of closing.”

Jan. 28, 1931: Seals Coach Line received authority to extend its Johnson City-Gray Station bus service on the new Highway 36 for service from Kingsport. Buses from Kingsport to Johnson City would use the new highway, while those going the opposite direction would use the old route.

Jan. 28, 1968: The spaghetti western "The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly" was showing at the Tennessee Theatre on the corner of West Main and Boone Streets in downtown Johnson City.

Jan. 28, 1968: Johnson City stock car racer Paul Lewis had received sponsorship for the NASCAR circuit. Lewis was to be driving two cars once the season opened in Daytona: a Dodge Charger owned by A.J. King, for large tracks, and a 1965 Plymouth, owned by Bill Vanderhoff, for smaller tracks.

Jan. 28, 1994: The World Cup Champions on Ice began the first of a two-day run at Freedom Hall Civic Center. More than 6,300 fans enjoyed the performances.

Sources: The Comet; Johnson City Court Records; Kingsport Times; Johnson City Press-Chronicle; Ted Bowers/Johnson City, Tennessee, Memories; Bobbie H. Shirley, Freedom Hall.

Johnson City Press Videos