logo


no avatar

Today in Johnson City History: January 8

Rebecca Henderson and Johnson City Press • Jan 8, 2020 at 7:45 AM

Jan. 8, 1891: The corner of Roan and Pine streets, property of the Johnson City Real Estate Company, was selected for one of the city’s two new school buildings. The facility was later dubbed Columbus Powell School. After a new Columbus Powell was erected next door in 1930, the original building was used as a glove factory before it was eventually razed.

Jan. 8, 1903: The Comet reported, “J.P. Morgan and Charles M. Schwab have acquired about one-tenth of the capital stock of the International Sleeping Car Company which is to operate on the Trans-Siberian road.”

Jan. 8, 1937: Science Hill’s Hilltoppers defeated Kingsport’s Dobyns-Bennett Indians 35-23 in boys basketball. 

Jan. 8, 1959: Looney's Super Market at the corner of South Roan and Pine streets advertised canned biscuits for 10 cents, Grade A Georgia fryer chickens for 59 cents each, Nabisco Premium crackers for 25 cents, a 20-ounce loaf of Honeycrust Bread for 25 cents and 4 pounds of Valleydale bologna for $1. That $1 is the equivalent of $8.84 in 2020.

Jan. 8, 1970: East Holston Avenue resident Jessie Holland, 15, was injured when the sled he was riding ran between two parked cars and under a large truck. The truck’s dual rear wheels ran over the sled and the boy. He was treated at Memorial Hospital.

Jan. 8, 2007: The new Gatton College of Pharmacy at East Tennessee State University inducted its inaugural class of 72 students in a white coat ceremony in the Martha Street Culp Auditorium at ETSU.

Sources: The Comet; The Kingsport Times; Johnson City Press-Chronicle; Ted Bowers/Johnson City, Tennessee, Memories; Johnson City Press

Johnson City Press Videos