logo


no avatar

Today in Johnson City History: December 14

Rebecca Henderson and Johnson City Press • Dec 14, 2019 at 7:15 AM

Dec. 14, 1911: Miss Alex Arrants had “been elected by the state board of education to the position of teacher of domestic science” at the East Tennessee Normal School. Previous to her appointment in Johnson City, Miss Arrants taught domestic science at the Rhea County High School in Dayton, Tennessee.

Dec. 14, 1920: The majority of the ex-servicemen in VA hospitals in Tennessee were tubercular patients located at Johnson City. There were about 200 there at the time, and with the additional number being sent from Arizona, there was to be about 300 in that hospital by Christmas. The American Legion was providing Christmas boxes for the men but needed financial help from the public. Some newspapers in Tennessee were supporting the campaign and collecting donations.

Dec. 14, 1952: The Johnson City Press-Chronicle reported that Boone Dam had been completed. 

Dec. 14, 1963: The Johnson Sevier Hotel Restaurant Village advertised “food you will long remember” in a smorgasbord each Sunday evening.

Dec. 14, 1963: Roger Corman’s film version of Edgar Allan Poe’s “The Raven” starring Vincent Price, Peter Lorre and Boris Karloff was playing at the Sevier Theater on Spring Street in downtown Johnson City.

Dec. 14, 1998: The Johnson City Board of Education approved a 33,000-square-foot expansion for North Side Elementary School at an estimated cost of $3.65 million. That equates to about $5.76 million in 2019.

Dec. 14, 2006: Wreaths Across America project volunteers and veterans groups gathered at the U.S. National Cemetery at Mountain Home to honor the service personnel interred there.

Sources: The Comet; Kingsport Times; Johnson City Press-Chronicle; Ted Bowers/Johnson City, Tennessee, Memories; Johnson City Press.

Johnson City Press Videos