Dec. 7, 1905: The “S. & W. people” were putting a roof on a portion of the old stone structure built in the boom days in Carnegie for a passenger station and will use it as a carpenter shop.
Dec. 7, 1933: Dr. Julian Gobelet, 311 S. Roan St., advertised eye examinations and glasses correctly fitted with “positively no drops used.”
Dec. 7, 1934: The U.S. Census Bureau announced that Johnson City’s Thomas P. Gore would be the district supervisor for the farm census in 1935.
Dec. 7, 1941: Navy Seaman Second Class William V. Campbell of neighboring Carter County was among those killed aboard the USS Oklahoma in the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor that drew the U.S. into World War II. He was one of 429 Oklahoma crewmen killed in the attack.
Dec. 7, 1957: East Tennessee State College’s Lambda Chi Alpha chapter became the first of four campus fraternities to acquire a house.
Dec. 7, 1974: East Tennessee State University President D.P. Culp conferred 325 degrees at the fall semester commencement ceremony. The speaker was Tennessee Technological University President Arliss L. Roaden.
Sources: The Comet; Johnson City Chronicle; Johnson City Press-Chronicle; Johnson City Press.