logo


no avatar

Today in Johnson City History: November 10

Rebecca Henderson and Johnson City Press • Nov 10, 2019 at 7:15 AM

Nov. 10, 1887: Capt. S.T. Harris had purchased the Range building on Main Street, previously occupied as a drug store, to arrange it for a bank. Capt. Harris stated to a Comet reporter that the stock in his new bank had about all been taken. The bank was to be known as the First National Bank of Johnson City.

Nov. 10, 1904: The Johnson City Traction Company was selling street car tickets to school children and teachers at 2 1/2 cents each. The rate would be in effect during the entire school season.

Nov. 10, 1938: Mrs. Carrie Pace sent congratulations to the Honorable Prentice Cooper, who was elected governor two days previously.

Nov. 10, 1980: The Tennessee Baptist Convention began a four-day meeting at Freedom Hall Civic Center. More than 6,000 people attended.

Nov. 10, 2001: An addition to St. John’s Episcopal Church was dedicated.

Sources: The Comet; Archives of Appalachia, Cox-Painter-Adams Family Papers; Bobbie H. Shirley, Freedom Hall; “In the Footsteps of Faith: A Tour of 14 of Johnson City’s Century-Old Churches.”

Johnson City Press Videos