logo


no avatar

Today in Johnson City History: October 16

Rebecca Henderson and Johnson City Press • Oct 16, 2019 at 7:15 AM

Oct. 16, 1928: The Tri-County Fair became known as the Appalachian District Fair, The fair ran from that day until Oct. 20 that year and had a theme for each day.

Oct. 16, 1950: The E.T. & W.N.C. “Tweetsie” Railroad made her last run. The railroad’s narrow-gauge bed is now Johnson City’s Tweetsie Trail.

Oct. 16, 1974: The Royal Lipizzan Stallions began the first of a two-day run at Freedom Hall Civic Center.

Oct. 16, 2006: Science Hill girls’ soccer rolled to an 8-0 win over Daniel Boone in the District 1-AAA quarterfinals.

Oct. 16, 2014: The Johnson City Commission unanimously approved a voluntary buyout program for property owners in flood-prone locations, specifically in the Brush, King, Cobb and Sinking creek drainage basins.

Sources: “History of Washington County Tennessee”; Bobbie H. Shirley, Freedom Hall; Johnson City Press.

Johnson City Press Videos