logo


no avatar

Today in Johnson City History: October 2

Rebecca Henderson and Johnson City Press • Oct 2, 2019 at 4:00 AM

Oct. 2, 1890: The Comet reported that Johnson City “shall soon have two good hotels both with dancing halls. They will be appreciated by our German club.” The City Hotel — later named Piedmont, the Planters and the Western — already had opened between the railroad tracks and Buffalo Street. Within 20 years, four more hotels — the Greenwood, the American, the Arlington and the Pardue — had opened along Buffalo to accommodate passengers from the nearby railroad depots. None of the five hotel buildings still stands.

Oct. 2, 1911: The East Tennessee Normal School, now East Tennessee State University, opened.

Oct. 2, 1946: Tennessee Education Commissioner Burgin Dossett complained of an emergency shortage of competent teachers in the state. Dossett later was named East Tennessee State College’s third president, serving from 1949-68 and leading the transition to university in 1963.

Oct. 2, 1966: State Rep. James H. Carter promised there would be no holdup in the completion of the new four-lane U.S. Highway 23 (now Interstate 26) between Johnson City and Kingsport.

Oct. 2, 2007: One horse from a local farm was recovering and another had died after both tested positive for West Nile virus.

Oct. 2, 2009: The Hilltoppers needed a 7-yard touchdown run from Ryan Mitchell with 4:13 remaining to slip past the David Crockett Pioneers 21-20 on Steve Spurrier Field at Memorial Stadium.

Sources: The Comet; ETSU; Johnson City Press-Chronicle; Johnson City Press

Johnson City Press Videos