logo


no avatar

Today in Johnson City History: September 30

Rebecca Henderson and Johnson City Press • Sep 30, 2019 at 4:45 AM

Sept. 30, 1905: The Rev. A.M. Laughren preached the first sermon in the new sanctuary of Knob Creek Church of the Brethren at Knob Creek and Fairridge roads. Organized in 1799, Knob Creek was the first Brethren Church in Tennessee. It is the oldest congregation in Johnson City.

Sept. 30, 1919: Judge Oris Hyder was born. He was Criminal Court Judge in 1957, and then was on the Tennessee Court of Criminal Appels. Following that, he was president of First People’s Bank, which later became United American Bank.

Sept. 30, 1930: George and Mary Parker opened the Dixie-Bar-B-Q Restaurant.

Sept. 30, 1932: Hamilton National Bank took over Unaka and City National Bank.

Sept. 30, 1948: The Freedom Train, which traveled across the United States to give citizens an opportunity to reflect on what citizenship meant to them after World War II, made a stop in Johnson City. The train began the 37,160 mile journey Sept. 17, 1947, and concluded on January 22, 1949, and stopped in more than 300 cities and towns during that time.

Sources: “In the Footsteps of Faith: A Tour of 14 of Johnson City’s Century-Old Churches”; Mary-Colin Hyder Santos; Johnson City Postcard History Series; Johnson City Press-Chronicle; Johnson City and the People of Northeast Tennessee.

Johnson City Press Videos