Sept. 20, 1894: Mr. A.F. Hoss was preparing to build a brick store house west of Rankin's block. It was to be three stories high, 25 feet wide and 60 feet long.
Sept. 20, 1947: The Milligan College Buffaloes defeated the Emory & Henry Wasps 19-7 in intercollegiate football. Fullback “Jolting” John Manning led the way with three touchdowns. From 1940-1943, Manning contributed to three conference football championships at Elizabethton High School. He lettered twice at the University of Tennessee, emerging as the Vols’ starting fullback in 1945 and playing in the Rose Bowl. Milligan ended its football program after the 1950 season.
Sept. 20, 1973: The Lady of the Fountain came home from Henderson, North Carolina. She had previously made her home at the residence of Helen Summers Zollicoffer.
Sept. 20, 1980: The Hanneford Circle began the first day of a two-day run at Freedom Hall Civic Center. More than 10,000 people attended over the two days.
Sources: History of Johnson City and Its Environs; The Comet; Johnson City Press-Chronicle; Remembering Johnson City; Bobbie H. Shirley, Freedom Hall.