logo


no avatar

Today in Johnson City History: September 19

Rebecca Henderson and Johnson City Press • Sep 19, 2019 at 1:30 AM

Sept. 19, 1889: Butler & Phillips, civil engineers, had just completed a large map of Johnson City, complete with new boundaries extending the corporate limits to 3 miles wide and 4 miles long. The city’s limits when it received its second charter in 1885 were just a 3/4-mile circle. Blueprints of the new map were available for purchase from The Comet.

Sept. 19, 1957: The search for a missing teenager in Johnson City ended when she returned home. Rescue squad members had been searching for the 13-year-old in woods near her home after her mother reported her missing.

Sept. 19, 1975: Marshall Tucker performed at Freedom Hall Civic Center.

Sept. 19, 1983: Dr. James Owen assumed duties of Tri-Cities State Tech, now known as Northeast State Community College.

Sept. 19, 2011: Johnson City native and Appalachian writer Jo Carson died. Carson studied theater and speech at East Tennessee State University before moving on to work with communities in Appalachia to create plays that are still performed today reflecting the lives of people living in East Tennessee and Western North Carolina. Carson’s grandfather, T.C. Carson, was an early mathematics teacher at what is now ETSU.

Sources: The Comet; Johnson City Press-Chronicle; Bobbie H. Shirley, Freedom Hall; Dr. Leigh Hornsby; Johnson City Press

Johnson City Press Videos