Sept. 17, 1914: The members of the First Presbyterian congregation had occupied their new house of worship on the previous Sunday. The new building, which had been commenced about year earlier on the site of the church’s original 1869 sanctuary, cost about $35,000.
Sept. 17, 1986: A special task force consisting of members of the Johnson City/Washington County Chamber of Commerce was seated. Its purpose was to place priorities on needed projects in Johnson City, Washington County and at East Tennessee State University, so “the three entities don’t bump heads in the quest for state funds.”
Sources: The Comet; Johnson City Press.