Sept. 12, 1907: John Reynolds, of Harriman, had leased a lot on West Main Street with plans of building a skating rink. The building was to be 75 feet by 140 feet, which would be the largest rink in East Tennessee with room for conventions and other large gatherings. If we were to hazard a guess, this was the Hippodrome, which sat at the corner of West Main and Whitney streets, a block from the current site of Johnson City Press.
Sept. 12, 1977: Three thousand people attended the James Robinson Crusade at Freedom Hall Civic Center.
Sept. 12, 1998: Johnson’s Depot Playground at Willow Springs Park was dedicated. Named for Johnson’s City’s founder, the playground was a cooperative effort between the City of Johnson City and the Junior League of Johnson City.
Sources: The Comet; Bobbie H. Shirley, Freedom Hall.