no avatar

Today in Johnson City History: July 17

Rebecca Henderson and Johnson City Press • Jul 17, 2019 at 6:45 AM

July 17, 1890: The contract to build a new $12,500 powerhouse for the Electric Light Co. had been awarded to parties from Waterbury, Connecticut, and bricks had been purchased.

July 17, 1913: Three men were charged with vagrancy. They were fined, but the cost was “suspended provided (they) leave the city and stay away and if they come back (indecipherable) the fine will be enforced.” (Source: J.)

July 17, 1939: A Mr. Gillispie was arrested, accused of “attempt to kill and assault.” He was released to the state. 

July 17, 1948: Bill Alford and the Tennessee Hillbillies, popular on local radio stations, rode in a horse-drawn wagon in a Johnson City parade. They were advertising the initial performance to take place later that date at Skateland, located on West Market Street. A sign on the side of the wagon notes that they were sponsored by the Jaycees.

July 17, 2009: The City Commission approved the $1.4 million purchase of the Keefauver Farm on Hales Chapel Road. The city had planned to place a park or a school at the property.

Sources: Johnson City Court Records, 1913; Johnson City Court Records, 1939; Johnson City and the People of Northeast Tennessee; Johnson City Press

Johnson City Press Videos