logo


no avatar

Today in Johnson City History: July 14

Rebecca Henderson and Johnson City Press • Jul 14, 2019 at 6:15 AM

July 14, 1888: Dr. E.A. Long had moved his office from the Harr-Burrow building to the second floor of the J.D. Cox building on the corner of Main and Buffalo streets. The rooms had been vacated by Dr. J.W. Cox.

July 14, 1939: Mr. Stoner was fined $25 for “Operating gambling game with butter and eggs.”

July 14, 1945: There was a groundbreaking for a renovation of the Appalachian Hospital, as well as building another facility next to the hospital.

July 14, 2005: The Tennessee Higher Education Commission approved the Bill Gatton College of Pharmacy.

July 14, 2012: The Cardinals racked up 13 hits in an 11-3 hammering of Kingsport in an Appalachian League baseball game at Cardinal Park.

Sources: The Comet; Johnson City Court Records, 1939; Johnson City Postcard History Series; Larry Calhoun; Johnson City Press

Johnson City Press Videos