logo


no avatar

Today in Johnson City History: June 12

Rebecca Henderson and Johnson City Press • Jun 12, 2019 at 8:00 AM

June 12, 1890: The Comet’s editor opined that instead of Jonesboro trying to get the Embreeville road it has formed a conspiracy to keep Johnson City from getting it. “The latest move of the conspirators was to take an option on Eph. Murray's farm at a big price in the hope of making the company pay well for the right of way.”

June 12, 1902: Austin Springs Inn had opened for the season with a grand ball and reception. The popular resort was situated only 5 miles from this city.

June 12, 1934: The first edition of Johnson City Press was published. Carl A. Jones Sr. and Charles J. Harkrader Sr. were the founders. Carl A. Jones Jr. was business manager and later publisher.

June 12, 1974: A news release from the Office of James H. Quillen announced that Veterans Affairs had approved the location of the future College of Medicine at the VA Mountain Home campus.

June 12, 2009: WJHL-TV ended its analog broadcast signal in making the full switch to a digital station alongside all other broadcasters in the nation. Founding General Manager Hanes Lancaster “flip the switch,” having launched the analog broadcasts back in 1953.

Sources: The Comet; Johnson City Press; Carol Sloan, Quillen College of Medicine

Johnson City Press Videos