May 18, 1910: The Johnson City Steam Laundry opened.
May 18, 1944: The Parks and Recreation Board was established in Johnson City.
May 18, 1953: Rufus Jennings, a Johnson City City Commissioner, left office. His term was from 1951-1953.
May 18, 1978: The European Evangelistic Society met at Freedom Hall Civic Center. Five hundred members were in attendance.
May 18, 2008: The official opening of the city’s ninth fire station, located at 105 Carroll Creek Road, was celebrated. Station No. 9 took less than a year to complete and is located in a highly visible part of Winged Deer Park. The total project cost was $1.3 million.
Sources: Johnson City Postcard History Series; History of Washington County, Tennessee; City of Johnson City; Bobbie H. Shirley, Freedom Hall; Johnson City Press