logo


no avatar

Today in Johnson City History: May 17

Rebecca Henderson and Johnson City Press • May 17, 2019 at 8:00 AM

May 17, 1884: Mr. Tipton Jobe’s new building on Main Street at the Town Square was finished. The second story was to be used as a town hall. Mr. E.D. Pendleton was expected to open a drug store in one of the lower rooms, while the other two were to be occupied by Mr. G.D. Masengill of Union, Tennessee, who had moved to Johnson City to open a general mercantile. Jobe’s building would be dubbed Jobe’s Opera House, which was the city’s cultural center in the late 1800s and early 1900s.

May 17, 1915: East Tennessee Normal School participated in its first men’s track meet, which was held on the school grounds.

May 17, 1945: City Commissioner J.R. Zimmerman left office; he was a commissioner from 1939-1945.

May 17, 1975: Linda Ronstadt performed at Freedom Hall Civic Center.

May 17, 2010: Future Major League Baseball pitcher Daniel Norris struck out nine during six shutout innings of the Hilltoppers’ 9-0 win against Jefferson County in a Region 1-AAA semifinal at Cardinal Park.

Sources: The Comet; History of Washington County, Tennessee; City of Johnson City; Bobbie H. Shirley, Freedom Hall; Johnson City Press.

Recommended for You

    Johnson City Press Videos