logo


no avatar

Today in Johnson City History: April 29

Rebecca Henderson and Johnson City Press • Apr 29, 2019 at 8:15 AM

April 29, 1897: Ed Crouch had cut his right foot so seriously over the weekend that he had not been able to out on it since. The Comet reported that Ed was sharpening fence posts when he slammed his hatchet into the big toe.

April 29, 1909: Johnson City’s First Baptist Church had decided to sell its “Little White Church” property on Main Street and build a new church on Walnut Street in the new Southwest Addition — a plan that never saw fruition. The original building had survived a major downtown fire in 1905, which prompted the congregation to split into two churches. First Baptist later reunified with Roan Street Baptist to form Central Baptist Church and began construction at 300 N. Roan St., where it remains today.

April 29, 1915: An obituary in The Comet lamented the death of Col. William Pond Harris at age 69 from pneumonia. Harris had moved to Johnson City from Brooklyn, New York, 25 years earlier and became superintendent of the old Three C’s Railroad before its failure. In 1898, he established Harris Manufacturing Co., a flooring company that would become one of the city’s leading and longest-lasting industries.

April 29, 2011: Cleanup was underway from major storms that swept the region that week. The storms had killed 10 people in Northeast Tennessee, including one in Washington County.

Source: The Comet; Johnson City Press.

Recommended for You

    Johnson City Press Videos