logo


no avatar

Today in Johnson City History: March 27

Rebecca Henderson and Johnson City Press • Mar 27, 2019 at 7:30 AM

March 27, 1890: The Comet reported that a company of eastern capitalists had decided to build a town on the river about 3 miles outside the corporate limits of Johnson City. “They have purchased several thousand acres of land and are laying out town on broad gauge plans. A railroad will be built from Watauga Point on the E.T. and W.N.C. road crossing the E.T.V. and G. at their town and connecting with the Three C's at Austin's Springs. Work was commenced on the road last Monday morning at 1 o'clock in order to keep other companies from getting in and holding the route. All the land the company bought was formerly known as Carters. Just what they will call their town is not yet known. The town will be laid out towards Johnson City and the two places will be one before twelve months have passed.”

March 27, 1949: The Johnson City Press-Chronicle reported that Mrs. R.C. Hunter had celebrated her 85th birthday in a private dining room at the John Sevier Hotel.

March 27, 1977: East Tennessee State University officials were anxiously awaiting details about a plan to fix the leaky roof on the Memorial Center mini-dome.

March 27, 2009: ETSU employees eligible for a voluntary early retirement buyout program approved by the Tennessee Board of Regents began lining up at the administration building. First in line was  Amelia Brown, associate dean of transfer articulation, who had been with ETSU for 30 years.

Sources: The Comet; Johnson City Press-Chronicle; Johnson City Press

Recommended for You

    Johnson City Press Videos