logo


no avatar

Today in Johnson City History: February 28

Rebecca Henderson and Johnson City Press • Feb 28, 2019 at 8:00 AM

Feb. 28, 1895: The Comet reported that Harry D. Gump of Gump Bros. was in the “Eastern market” purchasing spring clothing and furnishings for his downtown store. In 1907, Gump bought the farm near the failed town of Carnegie in east Johnson City, where the Gump Addition subdivision was later built. The original farmhouse, built in 1820, still stands between Hillrise Boulevard and East Holston Avenue northeast of Baxter Street. The Gump farm was the site of Johnson City's first country club and golf course, the first landing field for airplanes and the first modern subdivision in Johnson City.

Feb. 28, 1935: Henry Johnson School presented the operetta “Peter Rabbit” in the school’s auditorium. Proceeds were to be used to replace municipal supplies, which had been stolen from the building the previous summer. The cast of primary children included Edwin Archer as Peter Rabbit, Edith Miller as Flopsy, Martha Carter as Mopsy, Billy Stone as Cotton Tail, Anna Lee Waters as Mother Rabbit and Thomas Osborne as Mr. McGregor. A host of other pupils appeared as beans, carrots, peas and lettuce, as well as in the chorus.

Feb. 28, 1974: In the Tennessee General Assembly, Sen. Marshall Nave and Rep. Palma Robinson used their political influence to authorize East Tennessee State University  to apply to have a federally funded, state supported medical school. Gov. Winfield Dunn vetoed the bill. The Legislature later overturned that veto.

Sources: The Comet; Johnson City Press; Quillen College of Medicine; Johnson City Press-Chronicle.

For more about Johnson City’s 150th birthday, visit www.johnsoncity150.com.

Recommended for You

    Johnson City Press Videos