Feb. 24, 1887: The Comet reported that Mr. G. W. Hickey bought out the grocery business of G.F. Campbell and would continue the business at the old stand under The Comet office.
Feb. 24, 1935: The Johnson City Press reported that neighborhoods once part of the defunct suburb of Carnegie were getting new life in part because of the diversion of a creek along East Myrtle Avenue.
Feb. 24, 1974: WETS-FM began broadcasting.
Feb. 24, 1997: Former City Commissioner Louise Sells died. She served from 1979-1983.
Sources: Archives of Appalachia, Mary Hardin McCown Collection; The Comet; Johnson City Press East Tennessee State University; City of Johnson City.
For more about Johnson City’s 150th Birthday, visit www.johnsoncity150.com.