Feb. 14, 1921: Memorial Hospital changed its name to Appalachian Hospital as it moved from a house on East Chilhowie Avenue to a new facility at the corner of Boone Street and West Fairview Avenue. Originally opening as a 40-bed facility, the hospital operated as Appalachian until 1951, when a newer building opened — again as Memorial Hospital — behind the original structure.
Feb. 14, 1966: Tri-City Airport lost all power because of a severed electrical line about a half-mile away, halting all air traffic and leaving passengers stranded in the dark terminal without lights.
Feb. 14, 1976: The East Tennessee State University Buccaneers defeated the Middle Tennessee State University Blue Raiders 88-71 in men’s basketball at Freedom Hall Civic Center.
Sources: Archives of Appalachia, Mary Hardin McCown Collection; City of Johnson City; Johnson City Press; Johnson City Press-Chronicle; Bobbie H. Shirley, Freedom Hall.
For more about Johnson City’s 150th Birthday, visit www.johnsoncity150.com.