Johnson City Press: Today in Johnson City History: February 8

no avatar

Today in Johnson City History: February 8

Rebecca Henderson and Johnson City Press • Feb 8, 2019 at 8:00 AM

Feb. 8, 1894: A.J. Caraway, of the Kimball House, Atlanta, was en route to Johnson City to open the Carlisle Hotel, which had been completed two years earlier during the boom time but never opened. The Johnson City and Carnegie Electric Street Railway was to extend its line out Main Street to the entrance of the hotel at Main and Division. The Carlisle Hotel became the Franklin Hotel in 1913 and was later an apartment building. Notables who lived at the Franklin included Clyde Hodge, former editor of the Johnson City Press-Chronicle. The building was demolished in 1969.

Feb. 8, 1935: Johnson City Boy Scouts joined troops throughout the nation in celebrating National Scouting Week by tuning into a special radio broadcast featuring an address from U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt.

Feb. 8, 1947: The federal Civil Aeronautics Administration recommended improvements to what was then known as Tri-City Airport, as well as improvements at the Johnson City, Bristol and Kingsport airports, over the next three years.

Feb. 8, 1981: Several businesses were recognized in the Johnson City Press-Chronicle’s “Salute to Success” pages. The S.B.White Company was recognized for being in business for 90 years, Monte Vista Burial Park and Roselawn Memory Garden for 72 years each, Harmon Ice for 65 years, and Bowman Jewelers for 54 years. General Shale was recognized for being in business for 53 years, and the Peerless for 43 years. 

Feb. 8, 1990: The International Championship Rodeo was held at Freedom Hall Civic Center. The four-day run had 12,319 visitors.

Sources: The Comet; Johnson City Press; Johnson City Press-Chronicle; Bobbie H. Shirley, Freedom Hall.

For more about Johnson City’s 150th Birthday, visit

Johnson City Press Videos