Feb. 5, 1935: Johnson City Police Chief Roy Rumbley warned drivers that cars parked in prohibited zones would be ticketed as of that morning. The chief told the Johnson City Press that motorists had ignored warning cards left on vehicles. Prohibited areas included the west side of Spring Street from Main Street to the C.C. & O. tracks, the west side of West Market Street from Montgomery to Watauga, the west side of McClure Street from King to Market, and all of Library Lane from Roan Street east.
Feb. 5, 1965: The Johnson City Press-Chronicle carried a picture of three area legislators examining a bill in Nashville. The legislators were Rep. Bill Bowers Jr., Rep. James R. Carter and Rep. Leon Cox.
Feb. 5, 2006: Bob Cox recalled in his Yesteryear column that prior to 1958, only a handful of bowling establishments existed in Johnson City. They included the Johnson City Recreation Center, originally known as Royal Club Recreation, 106-108 Spring St.; R&L Bowling Lanes, 808 Buffalo St.; and Bowling Palace, 84-86 Wilson Ave. He noted that he and his friends patronized the Spring Street center, which had only two or three lanes. There were no special bowling shoes to rent. Bob and his friends simply bowled in their regular footwear.
Sources: The Comet, Johnson City Press, Johnson City Press-Chronicle.