Feb. 4, 1935: S.H. Chase, a Johnson City businessman and former coal broker, became the city’s postmaster. The oath of office was administered at 9 a.m. by Miss Agnes Dyer of the Civil Service. Chase succeeded Lula M. Devine, who had served 12 years in the role.
Feb. 4, 1961: The Altrusa Club was organized in Johnson City.
Sources: The Comet; Johnson City Press; History of Washington County Tennessee.