logo


no avatar

Today in Johnson City History: February 1

Rebecca Henderson and Johnson City Press • Feb 1, 2019 at 7:00 AM

Feb. 1, 1900: The Comet featured several advertisements from local purveyors of whiskey. Among them were M. Dyer & Company — exclusive agent for W.W.W. Pure Rye Whiskey and the “best high brands of Kentucky whiskeys — and Phillips & Waters, sellers of 18-year-old Edgewater Whiskey and Old Copper Distilled Whiskies and Brandies, which were made in Fish Springs in Carter County. M. Dyer & Company was located in the Piedmont Hotel across the tracks from Fountain Square, and Phillips & Waters sat just north of the hotel.

Feb. 1, 1935: Johnson City officials announced the city’s application for $1.5 million from Tennessee’s $100 million share of the federal government’s $4 billion public works relief fund. Among the projects on the city’s list of 15 proposals were a $300,000 municipal airport; a viaduct over the tracks from downtown to West Walnut Street; repaving and widening Main Street; a $367,000 sewage plant; a new reservoir on Pine Knob; a new Keystone School building; a new Pine Grove School building; and additions to Science Hill High School and Dunbar and South Side elementary schools.

Feb. 1, 1985: Johnson City Press-Chronicle Editorial Director Tom Hodge focused his column on the activities of Johnson City PTAs in the 1940s. Juvenile judges were often the speakers for the meetings.

Sources: The Comet, Johnson City Press, Johnson City Press-Chronicle.

For more about Johnson City’s 150th Birthday, visit www.johnsoncity150.com.

Recommended for You

    Johnson City Press Videos