Ballad Health, Signature Healthcare open $13.5 million assisted living facility

Zach Vance • Updated Mar 18, 2019 at 9:15 PM

Culminating a project five years in the making, Ballad Health CEO Alan Levine and Kentucky-based Signature HealthCare CEO Joe Steier simultaneously cut the ribbon on their brand new, jointly-owned 73,000-square-foot assisted living center on Monday. 

Princeton Transitional Care and Assisted Living, located at the site of the former North Side Hospital at 401 Princeton Road, will be operated and managed by LP Johnson City LLC, in which Ballad Health owns a 35 percent stake and Signature Healthcare owns the remaining 65 percent. 

“As time evolves and as health care evolves, we change what we’re doing, and we try to evolve to serve the needs of the people we serve,” Levine told the crowd gathered around the entrance of Princeton to see the ribbon-cutting ceremony.

“When one hospital went down, this rose up. And what a great thing for the people that are going to take advantage (of Princeton), and what a beautiful facility.”

Between 5 p.m. and 8 p.m., dozens of people signed up to tour the newly-constructed facility as part of an open house event. 

The facility houses private suites for rehabilitation, 47 skilled nursing beds and 60 assisted living apartments for senior citizens. Residents living there will have access to a chapel, theater, library and media center, market, coffee bar, ice cream and bistro, billiard parlor, outdoor walking paths, and on-site physician office. 

“The patients that we’re going to take care of are patients largely who’ve received care in a hospital and who are in the process of transitioning to a different care setting, or returning home,” Levine said. 

“These care transitions are a pivotal time for patients in order to ensure their health continues to improve, (and) that they don’t have to be readmitted into a hospital. That’s an important issue for us.” 

The $13.5 million joint endeavor has created approximately 200 jobs, Levine said. 

Discussions between Ballad Health — then operating as Mountain States Health Alliance — and Signature Healthcare officials about building the facility date back to 2012. 

By April 2014, the undertaking was officially disclosed when the two partners signed a letter of intent to begin demolishing the old North Side Hospital building. Two years later, a certificate of need application was submitted to the Tennessee Department of Health, which gained approval. 

A groundbreaking ceremony was held in July 2017, as leaders from both Mountain States and Signature celebrated the project with state and local elected officials. 

The single-floor facility replaces a 34-bed service area formerly located inside Johnson City Medical Center, as well as the inactive 13-bed Franklin Transitional Care facility at 400 N. State of Franklin Road. 

Peter Falk, Signature’s special projects director, has said the new assisted living center will meet a regional demand for skilled-nursing services. 

“I was involved in the initial market study, and there was a large demand, especially with the skilled nursing services and the assisted living combined in this facility,” Falk told the Johnson City Press in 2017. 

Princeton Transitional Care and Assisted Living still has openings for assisted living apartments. For more information, visit www.princetontransitionalcare.com.






Johnson City Press Videos