“One out of every three units of blood comes from a high school donor, which is an awesome testament to the younger community giving back,” Marketing Specialist Brian Bishop said. “To us, they are critical. They come, they’re excited and they understand that they’re giving back to people and saving lives.”
Because of this, the blood supplier recently awarded $20,000 worth of scholarships to high schoolers across the region.
“To see the younger generation so in tune with saving local lives is an awesome thing. Twenty thousand sounds like a lot, but the truth is we could never do enough to say thanks to these young people,” Director Don Campbell said in a press release.
Bishop said Marsh is getting set for another “way of showing thanks” to the region’s young donors through their Electric 94.9 Summer Kick Off Pop Show at the Pinnacle in Bristol, Tennessee, featuring We The Kings, In Real Life and Bryce Vine. The free concert will be held June 8 at 6 p.m.
In the meantime, there is still work to be done as the blood supplier prepares for upcoming blood drives.
Bishop said he encourages young people, along with all who are able to donate, to come to one of these upcoming blood drives at the following locations:
- Monday, June 4, 8:30-11:30 a.m., Division of Mines, Big Stone Gap, Virginia
- Monday, June 4, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Dial America, Johnson City
- Monday, June 4, 1-4 p.m., Lonesome Pine Hospital, Big Stone Gap, Virginia
- Tuesday, June 5, 7:30 a.m.-3 p.m., Eastman Building 359A, Kingsport
- Tuesday, June 5, 8 a.m.-3 p.m., Domtar, Kingsport, Tennessee
- Tuesday, June 5, 12:30-3:30 p.m., Bristol Metals, Bristol, Tennessee
- Wednesday, June 6, 8 a.m.-noon, Centurylink, Bristol, Tennessee
- Wednesday, June 6, 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Tazewell Community Hospital, Tazewell, Virginia
- Wednesday, June 6, 11 a.m.-4 p.m., Tele Tech, Weber City, Virginia
- Wednesday, June 6, 1:30 p.m.-4 p.m., Chiltern, Bristol, Tennessee
- Thursday, June 7, 9 a.m.-1 p.m., Wellmont Corporate, Kingsport
- Thursday, June 7, 1 p.m.-6 p.m., Food City, Wise, Virginia
- Friday, June 8, 7:30 a.m.-4 p.m., Bristol Regional Medical Center, Bristol, Tennessee
- Friday, June 8, 8 a.m.- noon, Honda, Kingsport
- Friday, June 8, 10 a.m.-1 p.m., Rogersville City Hall, Rogersville
- Friday, June 8, 1-4 p.m., Toyota of Kingsport, Kingsport
- Friday, June 8, 2-5 p.m., Walmart, Rogersville
- Saturday, June 9, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Celebration Church, Blountville
In addition to scheduled blood drives, people can donate at Marsh Regional’s collection centers at 111 W. Stone Drive, Suite 300, Kingsport; 2428 Knob Creek Road, Johnson City; and 1996 W. State St., Bristol.
For more information, visit www.marshblood.com.