The funding was made available by the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security, or CARES, Act, which provided $1.25 billion for tenant-based rental assistance.
The local grants included:
• $173,616 to Kingsport Housing and Redevelopment Authority
• $75,082 to Johnson City Housing Authority;
• $47,752 to Morristown Housing Authority;
• $27,160 to Elizabethton Housing and Development Agency; and
• $23,404 to Bristol Housing.
Roe said, “At a time of tremendous economic uncertainty when many individuals are struggling financially, it is paramount that our vulnerable populations have a roof over their heads.
“Many of these voucher recipients need assistance now more than ever, and I’m pleased the Trump administration is quickly directing another portion of the housing funds provided by the CARES Act to Northeast Tennessee.”