no avatar

Washington County to close courthouse to the public

Contributed • Updated Mar 20, 2020 at 7:35 PM

The Washington County Courthouse in Jonesborough will be closed to the public beginning March 23.

“We cannot effectively serve our citizens if we do not have healthy citizens to provide services,” county Mayor Joe Grandy said in a news release Friday. “After meeting with elected officials whose offices are housed in the historic courthouse, we decided to go this route.”

Employees will be working at the courthouse and providing services, but ask that those who need to conduct business with the county to call ahead.

“We will place drop boxes on the lower level of the courthouse at the handicapped entrance for folks to leave documents and payments,” Grandy said. “We do encourage everyone to check online at washingtoncountytn.org to conduct business via our online services first.”

Gov. Bill Lee has extended the deadline for obtaining vehicle registration renewals that expire in March and April to June 15.

Phone numbers for county services are as follows:

Clerk’s Office (vehicle tags, marriage licenses, business licenses) — 753-1621

Register of Deeds  753-1644

Trustee’s Office (property tax payments, tax relief questions) — 753-1602

Assessor’s Office (real estate assessment questions, greenbelt)  — 753-1670

Planning & Zoning (plat maps, building permits, inspections) — 753-1753

Election Commission (register to vote, requesting absentee ballots) — 753-1688

Staff will be available during normal business hours, which are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. to answer calls. The drop box for payments and documents will be accessible during normal business hours as well.

Here’s a list of business that can be conducted online:

County Clerk — You can renew your vehicle tags via phone, mail or online. Additionally, you can go online and apply for a marriage license, to become a notary and request a business license.

Planning & Zoning — Several applications are available on the county’s website. You can fill those out and submit the applications electronically via email. Contractors can also ask to submit building permits and requests for inspections via a new online portal. Call 753-1753 for information.

Property Assessor  — You can access all real estate assessment data via the county’s website.

Register of Deeds  — Mortgage companies are strongly encouraged to file online. Call Simplifile at 800-460-5657 to begin the process.

The site administrator has disabled comments for this story.
Johnson City Press Videos