no avatar

County government still open for business, with changes

Contributed • Mar 17, 2020 at 7:34 PM

All Washington County government offices are open with minimal changes to services.

“We’re encouraging people who have business to conduct with the county to make transactions by mail or electronically,” Washington County Mayor Joe Grandy said in a news release. “Quite simply, we cannot serve folks if we don’t have healthy county employees.”

Offices located in the Washington County Courthouse, the trustee’s and clerk’s offices in Johnson City and the George Jaynes Justice Center are open for business. Elected officials and department heads want residents to know that in-person visits are not required for all transactions.

A number of options are available on the county’s website, washingtoncountytn.org.

Court system: For information on all matters of the courts and proceedings in the George Jaynes Justice Center, please refer to the order from Chief Justice Jeffrey S. Bivins available on the county’s website or call the appropriate court office. Those numbers are available on the website as well.

Clerk and Master: You can email or FAX filings without fee for ongoing cases to Sarah Lawson until April 1 at [email protected] For more information, call 788-1450.

County Clerk: You can renew your vehicle tags via email or online. Additionally, you can go online and apply for a marriage license, to become a notary and request a business license. For more information, call the clerk’s office at 753-1621.

Planning and zoning: Several applications are available on the county’s website. You can fill those out and submit the applications electronically via email per instruction on each form. Please call the office at 753-1753 if you need help submitting forms or scheduling building inspections.

Property assessor: You can access all real estate assessment data via the county’s website. Any forms, such as change of address, are available on the county’s website and once completed can be emailed to [email protected] The assessor encourages people to call his office, 753-1672, with questions prior to coming by for services.

Register of deeds: Mortgage companies are strongly encouraged to file online. Call Simplifile at 1-800-460-5657 to begin the process. Residents needing copies of deeds or documents filed with the office can call 753-1644 and staff will email or mail files as requested. Any requests that can be submitted via email should go to [email protected]

Washington County Election Commission: Candidates can still pick up and file petitions in person. Forms for change of address and absentee ballots are available online at wcecoffice.com/forms. You can also register to vote online there as well. For more information, call 753-1688.

Trustee’s Office: Window service is available at both the Jonesborough and Johnson City locations. If you have business that cannot be conducted at the window, please call 753-1602 or email [email protected]

Veterans Service Office: Offices are open inside the George P. Jaynes Justice Center, which is currently limiting visitors. Please call 753-1628 to schedule an appointment. The office’s TRICARE meeting for March 23 is canceled, but will be rescheduled.

Libraries: Both the Jonesborough and Gray branches are open at this time, but programming is suspended until April 13. The libraries have set up meeting rooms to accommodate college students and faculty now studying away from campus.

In addition, both libraries have free Wi-Fi for those who need internet access. Follow the library’s Facebook page for updates, or call 753-1800.

Agricultural Extension Service: All program areas are suspended until May. You can reach that office at 753-1680 to inquire about other services, or watch for information on the department’s Facebook page.

The site administrator has disabled comments for this story.
Johnson City Press Videos