The special panel took less than 30 minutes to appoint members to the board’s six standing committees, as well as to advisory committees that require a commissioner to serve as a representative. Each of of the 15 members of the County Commission will serve on at last two standing committees.
“The committees will begin their activities next month,” Commissioner Phil Carriger, chairman of the Committee on Committees, told his colleagues after they completed their work.
The full commission will vote on the committee membership recommendations at its regular meeting on Sept. 24. Commissioners will also be asked to confirm County Mayor Joe Grandy’s committee appointments, including those who serve on the county’s Budget Committee.
Grandy has appointed himself and Commissioners Larry England, Steve Light, Freddie Malone and Jim Wheeler to the Budget Committee. The county mayor also asked Carriger, Light, Malone, Bryan Davenport and Gary McAllister to serve on the county’s Purchasing Committee.
Recommended members to the county’s standing committees are:
• Commercial, Industrial, Agriculture with Carriger, England, Robbie Tester, Jodi Jones and Kent Harris.
• Employee Compensation and Benefits with Light, McAllister, Davenport, Mike Ford and Suzy Williams.
• Health, Education and Welfare with Light, Williams, Jones, Danny Edens and Greg Matherly.
• Public Safety with Jerome Fitzgerald, Harris, Malone, Ford and Edens.
• Public Works with Fitzgerald, Davenport, Edens, Matherly and England.
• Rules with Carriger, Tester, Wheeler, McAllister and Malone.
Other committee assignments include:
• Ford, Light and Trustee Rick Storey on Agriculture Extension.
• Malone on Audit and Ethics.
• England, Wheeler, Carriger, Malone and Davenport on the Beer Board.
• Carriger, Malone and McAllister on Investment.
• Ford, England, Light and Jones on Resale of Land.