no avatar

Late stand preserves Boone win over Tennessee High

Johnny Wilson • Aug 31, 2018 at 11:30 PM

BRISTOL — Daniel Boone may be Charlie Cole's football team, but the Trailblazers proved Friday night that they are much more than just their superstar.

With a number of athletes making big plays all night, Boone ultimately produced the biggest one in the game's final 10 seconds — leaving the Trailblazers with a 26-21 Big 7 Conference victory over Tennessee High.

The Trailblazers sealed the win when senior defensive backs Colton Adams and Easton Harrell broke up a fourth-and-4 pass from the Boone 8 that was intended for 6-foot-6 THS tight end Nolan Wishon at the goal line.

"It was a great team effort and victory," said Boone head coach Jeremy Jenkins, his team now 2-0 (1-0 Big 7). "We made some big plays on special teams, our offense made a lot of key plays and our defense made plays when we had to.

"A lot of missed assignments and alignments, but other than that I'm real proud of the kids effort. The kids got down but they never quit, and then we made a big-time play in the end to win this thing."


Charlie Cole scored his third touchdown of the game on a 3-yard blast with 4:31 remaining to play, wiping out a 21-20 THS advantage and providing Boone with its five-point edge.

The Vikings (2-1, 0-1) then proceeded to move from their own 18 to inside the Boone 10, where they had third- and fourth-down cracks in the game's final 20 seconds.

Nathan Johnson broke up a third-down pass to Wishon, before Adams and Harrell combined to save the day with their fourth-down breakup.

"The coaches told us they would go back to 82 (Wishon) again and we were ready,'' Harrell said.

"We both hit him soon as the ball touched his hands — we just made a play like we're taught," Adams chimed in.


This game was a back-and-forth affair before the wild finish.

THS scored first with a methodical drive capped by an 11-yard TD run by Trevor Dowdell, but Boone tied it right back up at 7-7 seconds later when Harrell fooled everyone at the Stone Castle, faking beautifully to Cole and then speeding 74 yards on a QB keeper.

"That's the way we're taught to run it," Harrell said. "They crashed down on Charlie so I pulled it out and made a move and was able to break it."

Boone gained a 14-7 halftime edge on a 6-yard Cole TD run, but THS tied it back up when Isaiah Smith blazed to a 67-yard scoring scamper midway through the third quarter.

Cole, who ran 21 times for 100 yards, scored his third TD of the game on the first play of the fourth quarter, but Boone missed the PAT kick.

The Vikings gained their 21-20 lead only seconds later, as Ryan Gibson broke loose for a 65-yard touchdown gallop.

James Kyte's subequent point-after boot put the home team in position to win, but the Blazers would have nothing of that.


Harrell ran 13 times for 136 yards and completed the biggest pass of the night, a 41-yard bomb to Brennan Blair on third and 12 to set up the go-ahead score.

In addition, Joe Jones had a shocking 30-yard punt return to set up Cole's second touchdown.

"Like I said, we made big plays all night," Jenkins said. "This was a great team win. I'm proud to death of these kids to get down like we did and come back."

Recommended for You

    Johnson City Press Videos