Shortly after 7 p.m. emergency personnel from the Johnson City Fire Department, Johnson City Police Department, Washington County/Johnson City EMS and ETSU Public Safety responded to a report of a grill fire inside the center’s kitchen. A student worker who was in the kitchen at the time of the fire and had been evacuated told the Press they were unable to extinguish a small grease fire and had to pull the fire alarm.
Emergency crews were seen leaving the scene around 7:45 p.m.
In September, another kitchen fire closed the Culp Center for over an hour. This is at least the second kitchen fire since ETSU unveiled a newly-renovated dining hall inside the building.