The fair opens on Aug. 19 and continues through Aug. 24 at the fairgrounds in Gray.
Appalachian Fair contests and shows
• The annual Fairest of the Fair pageant will be staged on opening day at 7:30 p.m. The winner will receive a $2,500 scholarship award and will represent the fair during the week. At the January meeting of the Tennessee Association of Fairs in Nashville, she will compete for the Tennessee Fairest of the Fair title. Deadline for entry is Aug. 8.
• The Little Miss contests will begin at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 20, for ages 2-15. Deadline is Aug. 8, or until practice if space is available.
• The Appalachian Fair’s Look-Alike Contest will be held Wednesday, Aug. 21, at 7:30 p.m.
• The Youth Talent Contest is set for 7 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 22. The winner will go on to compete in the Youth Talent show at the Tennessee Valley A&I Fair in Knoxville in September. Deadline for entry is Aug. 1.
• The So You Think You Can Dance Contest will be at 7 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 23. Deadline for entry is Aug. 9.
• The fair will hold its talent contest, set for Saturday, Aug. 24, at 7 p.m. Division I is for ages 6-17 while Division II is for ages 18 and up. Deadline for entry is Aug. 9
• The annual Baby Show will also be held Saturday, Aug. 24, for babies 6 to 24 months old.
• The new livestock entry deadline to enter Beef, Dairy or Sheep and the Career & Technology Education event is July 25.
• Also new for 2019 is the Poetry Contest. The adult competitive pre-entry deadline is Aug. 1. Entries will also be accepted the day items are due.
Entries for contests will be accepted online, and forms can be downloaded and mailed or faxed. Entry information, catalog and forms can be found at www.appalachianfair.com. For more information, call 423-477-3211.
Monster trucks and demolition derby
The Monster Trucks will return on Monday and Tuesday nights at 7. Wednesday will be Mega Trucks returning along with Kid’s Power Race Contest, and Thursday will feature the Truck Pull Competitions.
For more information and registration, call 407-314-6936.
On Friday and Saturday, the ever-popular Demolition Derby will take place. Register at Tennesseeslammersbangers on Facebook.
Live music at the Fair
Opening acts for each live performance start at 7 p.m. with headline artists beginning at 8.
This year’s lineup includes:
• Monday, Aug. 19: Adam Hambrick opens for Mitchell Tenpenny.
• Tuesday, Aug. 20: Rhett Walker Band opens for Crowder.
• Wednesday, Aug. 21: Hardy opens for Morgan Wallen.
• Thursday, Aug. 22: Dylan Scott.
• Friday, Aug. 23: Emily Ann Roberts opens for Josh Turner.
• Saturday, Aug. 24: Carson Peters & Iron Mountain opens for Folk Soul Revival.