Because of the removal of the pedestrian bridge across John Exum Parkway at Science Hill and construction of a new gym and cafeteria at Liberty Bell, some changes were made to address additional on-campus traffic during drop-off and pick-up times.
After the first day of classes Monday, some additional changes had to be made to make traffic more efficient at both schools, according to Greg Wallace, supervisor of school safety.
“Yesterday was a time for us to see the plan in place. We realized there were some changes that needed to be made,” he said.
While the drop-off points are labeled for 9th,10th and 11-12th-grade students, parents are now welcome to drop their students off at the most convenient location. Science Hill administration also recommends parents picking up their children arrive on campus after 2:55 p.m. By then, the campus will be clear of buses and student drivers, which make it much easier to navigate.
“Morning and afternoon traffic was much smoother today,” said Science Hill Principal Todd Barnett, who noted it took 13 minutes to clear the campus after Tuesday’s dismissal.
“Our main objective is to get everyone on campus safely, and to get everyone in and out as quickly as possible.”
• All students can be dropped off at Topper Lane (see map), the main office/library or the new gym. If possible, it is suggested to drop off 9th-graders at Topper Lane, 10th-graders at the main office/library and 11th- and 12th-graders at the new gym.
• Topper Lane will be “one way” from 7:15-7:45 a.m. on days when school is in session.
• 7th-grade and 8th-grade students are dropped off in Parking Lot A from 7-7:25 a.m. Breakfast will be served in the gym.
• 7th-grade students are dropped off in the bus circle from 7:25-7:40 a.m.
• All students can be picked up at Topper Lane, the main office/library or the new gym. It is suggested to pick up 9th-graders at Topper Lane, 10th-graders at the main office/library and 11th- and 12th-graders at the new gym.
• Topper Lane will be “one way” from 2:30- 3 p.m. on days when school is in session.
• All students will be dismissed once the buses have left campus and can meet their parents in the most convenient parking lot (A, B or C).
For more information, visit www.jcschools.org.